Tuesday, July 22, 2014

I'm a Camp Counselor!

I don't actually know if camp counselor would be my proper "job title" but that's what I'm going with.
I work at a Good Shepards service day camp at my old middle school. With that information it's okay for you to assume that already knew most of the people that's working there. No, this does not mean that I got hooked up with the job because I'm working through SYEP. SYEP stands for Summer Youth Employment Program. It's a (almost) random picking based on online applications that people fill out before the beginning of the summer.
At the day camp there are four groups and four sub groups split up by age. The sub groups are there in order to maintain a balanced number of kids, counselors, and group leaders. The group leaders are the people that work with GSS all-year, during the school year it would be for after-school program. The groups go from 1-4 and the sub groups are 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, 3B, 4A, and 4B. Group 1 kids are the youngest and group 4 is the oldest kids. I work with group 1A. I'm not sure of the ages of the kids in the other groups but my kids are 5-6. So I haven't worked a full week yet but I definitely like my job because I love kids.
On my first day of work I thought I'd be able to just settle in and try to get the flow of the camp. I thought wrong, my first day we went on a trip to a small kiddie amusement park. On my second day, which happened to be a Friday, the camp had Olympics. There was a bunch of games for all the groups to play including water games. I started to get the hang of it on my third day of work which happened to be our pool day. We took the kids to the pool and helped the swim instructor teach them how to swim. Today on my fourth day of work we were supposed to go Mini-Golfing but there was a communication problem so we have to go back next week.
When we're in the school we are either in the gym or in the class room. In the gym we play a few group games and then the kids have a little free time before we go to our classroom. I make sure everyone is safe and not playing to rough. when we are in the classroom we have quiet time so I remind the kids to be quiet and to keep there heads down.
Yeah, so that's just about everything there is to know about my job, if you have any questions or something was unclear to you feel free to comment.
Added 9/30. Last day working with the kids we went to the park.

2 comments:

  1. Oooo, sounds so fun! How many hours do you work a day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only work 25 hours a week because that's all syep pays for so that would be 5 hours a day and a hour lunch break but I usually show up an hour early and leave a hour late. It is fun!

      Delete