Monday, September 1, 2014

New lenses for my camera

      As you may or may not know I have a Canon T3i. (The kit I bought is seemingly unavailable so I linked this one instead. It has more bang for the same buck.) Since my freshman year of high school I loved taking pictures. Not very good pictures because I didn't know anything about photography. They were really just snapshots and a billion selfies before the term was mainstream.
      Onto the subject matter, I purchased two new lenses from Amazon for my camera. I bought them together but first I will be discussing the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 (click the names for prices). I was very satisfied with my purchase before I got it because I knew I wouldn't regret it. At first I was a bit worried about buying it because the 50mm lens was a gray market item which meant I wouldn't be able to register it with canon for a US warranty. ("Gray market products are products purchase outside the US and then resold in the US. They do not come with US warranties, only international warranties" taken from the customer questions & answers section of the product.)
50mm f/1.8
      The other lens I purchased was the Opteka 85mm f/1.8 . I was very skeptical about this lens for two reasons. It is a fully manual lens which was a bit scary because I live by the "use auto-focus and tweak if needed" method that I had adapted. Also I liked being able to change the aperture on camera which isn't even a option because when this lens is attached my camera just says the aperture is 00. For a beginner that only using Auto I think that it would be a bit frustrating to learn but it won't take long to learn. My second reason for being skeptical was that I couldn't find any how-to or example videos on this lens. I like to do my research on tech related things for reference but I wouldn't say this was a huge reason. I just would have liked to find more than two videos on it. Although I didn't find the videos I was looking for I decided to buy it anyways. (SN: the thing on the top on the lens is a lens hood.)
85mm f/1.8
      In the two pictures of my lenses the DIY lighting I used was the light from my laptop (seen on the left side of each picture) and the light from my tablet which I held above and to the right of the lenses.

1 comment: