Saturday, November 8, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars book/movie wrap-up

There may be small spoilers you can live with knowing but just in case you can't here is your warning!
     Last Saturday I read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green and then watched the movie. I loved the book and enjoyed the movie, I'm glad to have read the book first. The Fault in Our Stars(TFIOS) is "a book about cancer without it being a book about cancer"(Hazel quote). It's about a girl named Hazel Lancaster who has Thyroid cancer and a depression diagnosis her doctors tells her to start going to a cancer support group. At the support group she meets Augustus Waters and from there both of their lives change significantly over the course of the book.
     The views on life, death, love and gender roles were written in such elegant and thought provoking ways. TFIOS is a story that made me smile until my face hurt and made tears sting my eyes. Throughout the book I was on a roller-coaster of emotions -happy, sad, frustrated and angry -- and every moment of it was satisfying.
    Though the movie was good I didn't like it as much mainly because I read the book, books are always better, right? I liked the cute little details in the book like the quotes from An Imperial Affliction (which doesn't exist). There were some things that I just imagined different like the sculpture in the park. I imagined it coming out of the ground in a bending over stance (trying to be discrete to avoid small movie spoilers). Also while watching the movie I wished some of the scenes stayed the same like in chapter 2 pages 48-50 and chapter 23 pages 440-442 but those are just personal things that I thought would be a better fit to making the movie full.
   I give the book a 5/5 and the movie a 4/5.
     Next week I may put up two post a update on my customer service training and maybe a book review on Eleanor & Park (just finished reading it today by the way). If you like this sort of post let me know by commenting and +1. The book review post will hopefully motivate me to start reading more, at least one book a week is my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment